Remember, this week’s class is online and all about intellectual property, copyright, information privacy and how these issues affect you as a student and as as global citizen.
Online class work
All online class work, including assignments and participation/attendance comment, is due by 5:00 pm on May 14.
1. Copyright and Intellectual Property (6 points)
Read 10 Things Everyone Gets Wrong about Intellectual Property and watch the following videos:
(You only need to watch up to 5:37 of this video)
After reading/viewing the above sources, please answer the following questions. Your response should be approximately 4-5 paragraphs.
- What did you find most surprising from the “10 Things Everyone Gets Wrong about Intellectual Property” article and why did it surprise you?
- What new information did you learn about the protection of intellectual property?
- How will what you’ve learned change how you engage with different sources of information (articles, videos, artwork) that you create or find online?
- Do you think that “Happy Birthday” should still be under copyright protection? Why or why not?
Please name your document lastname_intellectual-property (ex. wakimoto_intellectual-property) and send as an email attachment or share as a doc on Google Drive.
2. Online security and privacy (4 points)
Please read this Lifehacker article, how to make your entire online life more secure in one day.
After reading the article, please write a 2-3 paragraph response to this article detailing your thoughts on:
1. Privacy and security online,
2. What you do to ensure the security of your data online, and
3. How you balance privacy & security with sharing on social media.
Please name your document lastname_security (ex. wakimoto_security.doc) and send as an email attachment or share as a doc on Google Drive.
3. Attendance & Participation Points (5 points)
Please write a comment on this page answering the following questions:
1. When did you first hear about copyright? Did your teachers discuss it in high school?
2. Do you worry about the security of your personal information online? Why or why not?
1. Weekly Reflection due May 18 at noon.
2. Finish the rough draft of your research paper and bring two printed copies to class next week (May 21).